The first school for African-American children — historically called “colored schools” — was built in 1869 by funds from the Freedman’s Bureau following the Civil War. The local African-American community raised the money to purchase a lot at 140 West Broadway to build the “Winchester Negro School.” This first building was still standing and in use in 1928, although it was used for training in vocational skills.
In 1892, a two-story frame building was erected by the local school board. The construction was funded by local taxes, donations and contributions. This building stood at 406 and 407 Oliver Street.
In 1907, a two-story addition was added to the north side. This building lasted until the 1930s.
The third and final building on Oliver Street was built in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration. This school served as the sole high school for black students until 1956, when the school systems merged.
Today, after major renovations, the building is on the National Historical Register and now provides one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments for senior citizens. §
— Rosenwald Colored School on Waterworks Road (circa 1903-1930)
— Becknerville Colored School on Waterworks Road (circa 1899-1930)
— Duards Creek Colored School on Athens-Boonesboro Road (circa 1899-1930)
— Rosenwald Pleasant Hill Colored School on Athens-Boonesboro Road (circa 1925)
— Ford Colored School on Asher Lane (circa 1900)
— Howards Creek Colored School on Stone Church Road (circa 1870-1929)